Re: startup: Venture Capital in Switzerland - An Historical Explanation

From: Hans-Juerg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:56:09 -0700

Christian,

Well, interesting summary. I disagree on a few points to keep the
discussions going....

>The core of the U.S. society is based on freedom of speech and trade. The fact
>that George Washington, first president, took oath in Wall Street underlines
>that a commercial backbone was already in place before the authority.

IMHO, forget freedom of speech and trade, this is quite a myth. The
US market is very well protected too. Just try to bring some meat
here as an example, and check all the agricultural inspection crap.
Or, if Brasil produces steel more cheaply than the US, investigations
go on right away to STOP free trade.....
freedom of speech: what about being a communist in the US, especially
a few years back and today!

>The interaction of both of the above historical factors lead to an unmatched
>entrepreneurial spirit that creates the best environment to new commercial
>endeavors.

There have been very entrepreneurial people in Europe and CH,
Vladimir listed a few. I think we lost some of that spirit over the
last decades, and from what I can see, it is coming back. And CH has
advantages too, quality of life would be my favorite.

cheers,