Re: alumni: Giving up the Green Card

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

My wife had the same problem a few years ago:

1. The greencard automatically expires after one year out of the
   US, unless you asked for an extension before you left
   (I think you can extend it for at most another 6 month)

2. Taxes are usually zero, as you can deduct a large amount
   (currently around 0000), if this is not enough there are
   also ways to deduct housing costs and other costs related
   to the cost of living abroad, plus you can deduct the taxes
   you pay in Switzerland (capital gains tax could be a problem
   though).

3. No state taxes

4. The form you need to fill out to apply for a greencard
   says that if you once had a greencard, you can always
   reapply and there is no cap on the people that reapply.
   I've never heard of someone that did this, so I don't
   know if it is as easy as it sounds.

Claudio

> Hi Alumnis,
>
> Does anybody have information or ideas about the issue relating to
> giving up a Green Card when back in Switzerland? The main question is
> tax-related.
> A green card holder is considered like a US citizen. This means you have
> to pay tax in the US while abroad (there are tax treaties, etc...).
> Giving up the Green Card allows you to avoid this tax liability, but of
> course, raises the issue that it might be difficult to get one again if
> moving back to the US...
>
> Any ideas? Hints?
>
> Laurent
> --
> Laurent Piguet laurent.piguet_at_epfl.ch
> Coaching Team Mobile: +41 (0)79 310-3249
> PSE Parc Scientifique Phone: +41 (0)21 693-3023
> CH - 1015 Lausanne Fax: +41 (0)21 693-4675

Claudio Fleiner claudio_at_fleiner.com