startup: Update on Swiss Innovation & Entrepreneurship!

From: Pascal Marmier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:41:02 -0500

Dear entrepreneurial friends!

This list has been mute for quite some time now, but I thought I would
try to restart it with some information and documents on what's going in
Swiss innovation! Of course, if there are any readers based in
Switzerland (and I know there are!), they should comment as well.

While we hear from a lot of different sources that Swiss innovation is
stale, I've just returned from Switzerland and actually had a very good
impression of what lies ahead in terms of new companies and new products
under development. Based on a discussion with a VC about the
entrepreneurial environment, it seems clear, however, that the Silicon
Valley model is not adaptable to Switzerland. There will never be a
major capital market to offer exits as large as the ones that drive the
US VC industry. Few US VCs seem to be interested in Swiss startups as
there is simply no way for them to get large "multiples" on the SWX - at
least for university spinoffs (spinoffs from large companies, such as
Actelion constitute a different category).

But there is a spirit of Swiss innovation.. and I have encountered it! I
was fortunate to attend a gala dinner organized by Rezonance
(www.rezonance.ch) that gathered all 111 innovators who received an
award in 2004. I was amazed by the breadth of innovation ... found not
only in startups but also in government programs or more traditional
businesses (such as cheese-making). The innovators are profiled in a
book called SwiTi - we may get a few copies here at SHARE... or you can
order it at: http://www.rezonance.ch/switi/switieng/. Some success
stories such as Esmertec (multimillion VC investment) were mentioned,
but there were also a lot of unsung heroes who are (re)making
Switzerland.

Ok, enought talk! Want to make an opinion yourself? Here are a few good
links:

Tornado Insider - lists a few Swiss among its TOP 100 startups
http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=167&sid=5510446

CTI Startup
This coaching program - SHARE and swissnex are US partners - recently
celebrated the 100th company to receive the CTI label:
http://www.ctistartup.ch/

Note: we will welcome from time to time entrepreneurs who have been
through this program and are looking for contacts in the US. They are
working in fields as diverse as life sciences, nanotechnology,
watch-making or consulting, but please let us know if you would like to
meet some of them.

For an excellent overview of Swiss innovation with case studies, critics
and recommendations, check the new book of Xavier Comtesse of Avenir
Suisse. A short write up can be found at the links below (F and D). For
the book in PDF format (F or D), send me an email!!
http://www.avenir-suisse.ch/2679.0.html (French)
www.avenir-suisse.ch/2675.1.html (German)

Best!!

-- Pascal

Pascal Marmier
Advisor, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
SHARE, Consulate of Switzerland
420 Broadway
Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone: (617) 876-3076 ext.13
Mobile: (617) 331-3989
Fax: (617) 876-3079

Email: pascal_at_shareboston.org <mailto:pascal_at_shareboston.org>