Re: swiss-list: virus sent to swiss-list

From: Nicole <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 17:35:47 -0700

This is what the virus does:

Upon execution, this worm patches the WSOCK32.DLL so that it attaches itself
to emails sent out from the infected computer. Once the worm patches the
WSOCK32.DLL, it monitors Internet activity, including the sending and
receiving of email.

If the worm cannot modify WSOCK32.DLL because it is being used when the worm
file is run, it creates a randomly named file, such as "FIDGFNIK" in the
Windows System directory. This is a patched copy of the WSOCK32.DLL. It then
creates a file WININIT.INI, so that next time Windows starts, "FIDGFNIK"
is renamed to WSOCK32.DLL, thus successfully completing the patching of
WSOCK32.DLL

It probably works only on Windows 9x platforms...

Nicole

"Nyffenegger, Ralph" wrote:

> A recent e-mail sent to the members of the swiss-list from sender "hahaha"
> contains the virus "TROJ_HYBRIS.B". I don't know what the virus does...
>
> Ralph

Nicole Hillbrecht
headwire
25006 crystal circle