swiss-list: RE: Swiss-list: Importing fondue?

From: Anne Brunner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:00:53 -0800

Hi Vuko,
First of all, you can buy prepackaged fondue here in the bay area. There
is 3 kinds. There is the Swiss Knight, which I heard is pretty bad, but
I never tried it, there is Appenzeller Fondue, which I tried and is
decent, and there is one that looks like a Swiss cheese, which I heard
is not bad either. You can also make your own with Emmentaler (Swiss
cheese) and Gruyere, which are both available even at Safeway.
Maizena is called corn starch and is a yellow package in the baking
section.
For the burner you can buy Sterno. It is a yellow tin bottle. Some
Safeway's have it but not all. But if you ask for sterno fluid, the
sales clerks know what you are talking about. Some stores now even have
the child safe paste for the new kind of burner.

So I have to admit, I'm not totally sure if you can bring cheese.
Processed food is normally not a problem, but there is always the trick
in declaring it in German or French, so the inspector can not really
understand it but also not claim you did not declare it.

Good luck
        Anne