RE: swiss-list: Greencard processing

From: Martin Mumenthaler <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:41:46 -0700

Hi Stefan,
The US Embassy in Bern was the best way to go in my case. I briefly
describe my experience, hoping it will help and encourage you and others
in this situation.
June 2001: I filed my I-140 petition (researcher track; based on
University, for INS processing), got it approved in Feb 2002. Then I
decided to switch to consular processing and filed an I-824 with the INS
to change to consular processing. March 2002: INS sent me a "notice of
ACTION" (one of these beautiful documents that looks like you had just
been invited to carry the Olympic torch for the next Olympics) which
said "it will usually take 870 to 880 days from the date of this receipt
for us to process this type of case" (I swear, that's EXACTLY what it
said, it was hilarious! "ACTION"??? Definitely not the Hollywood kind!
But at least they can make precise predictions!!!). So I called the US
Embassy in Bern and asked if I could deal with them directly and they
were VERY HELPFUL and said I should fax and also mail them that "notice
of action" and the original I-140 petition approval and they would
immediately start a file and work on my case. They immediately sent me
instructions what to do next (fill out just a few forms, collect a few
Swiss documents) and last week, they told me that I can appear for the
interview at the beginning of June, or I can suggest a time that is
convenient for me! So thanks to the US Embassy in CH it looks like it
will have taken me 4 months to get the green card instead of 860-870
days (which was just to get the documents to Switzerland, by the way!!!)
Bottom line: call the US Embassy in Bern asap explain your case and ask
how to proceed. They are incredibly supportive, and you might have your
interview in about 3 months...
Good luck!

Martin

Martin Mumenthaler