Re: swiss-list: H1 B Visa

From: Dorothea Beringer <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:59:42 -0700

Charly,
For your wife to be able to work she can either also get an H1-B if she
has an occupation that falls into this category, or you have to get the
green card. When you apply for a green card and you reach the third
stage (adjustment of status), both you and your wife can get an EAD card
(employment authorization), which will allow you to work for whomever
you want.

There are three ways I know of to get a green card:
1) Win in the green card lottery (there is another one soon, see
http://travel.state.gov/DV2004.html) .
2) Apply for a green card for outstanding researchers: if you have a PhD
and some publications and you are working here as a researcher, this is
a good possibility, as you can do it without any involvement of your
employer. From what I heard it is possible to do it on your own by
studying the INS documents yourself. Yet it will be much easier to have
an immigration lawyer helping you.
3) Get your employer to apply for a green card for you. This is how most
people become permanent residents.

If you are only here for one year, I doubt you will manage to get your
green card (or at least to the third stage of the application) within
that year, but maybe the INS in Texas is faster than the one in California.

Dorothea

charlyfrey_at_bluemail.ch wrote:

--
Dorothea Beringer    djberinger_at_bluewin.ch
+1 (650) 561-9115 (daytime PST only!)